What happens when Captain Marvel comes face to face with Thor, the God of Thunder?
One of the best things about the superhero world is the opportunity to pit two against each other. Be it Iron Man [Robert Downey Jr] going toe-to-toe with Thor [Chris Hemsworth] in Avengers or the Grand Master pitting Hulk [Mark Ruffalo] against him in Ragnarock. It’s always a delight to watch our favorite heroes going against each other. When Captain Marvel [Brie Larson] was introduced in the MCU as the strongest Avenger by far – fandom was divided, some believed it to be true some didn’t. And then began the power comparison.
While most Avengers are earthbound, Carol Danvers seemed pretty strong when compared with. However, what happens when Captain Marvel is pitted against an Asgardian God, Thor? To understand the odds, we first need to understand the basics about the two characters. What is the source of their powers and also what are their powers? Let’s find out.
What is the source of Thor’s powers?
Thor is son of Odin, King of Asgard and the protector of the nine realms. As an Asgardian, Thor has a longer life span, supernatural powers and very dense physiology. Thor is probably the strongest Asgardian, only next to Odin and his sister Hela in the MCU. The source of Thor’s power is Asgard itself just like how we see Hela getting stronger by spending time in Asgard during Thor: Ragnarock. However, Odin made it clear to Thor, ‘Asgard is not a place, it’s a people.’ So Asgardians are his real source of power. When Thanos snapped half the Asgardians, we saw Thor’s powers diminish eventually. While, Mjolnir was thought to be the source of his powers, we saw him channeling it through the Stormbreaker itself.
What are Thor’s Powers?
- Asgardian Physiology: Hailing from Asgard, Thor possesses supernatural power and superhuman attributes. His bones and muscles are denser, that makes hurting him quite impossible. As a God, he is powerful than most Asgardians standing next only to his father Odin and sister Hela.
- Superhuman Strength, Speed & Durability: Being the strongest Asgardian since his father and sister passed away, Thor’s strength and durability surpasses any being in the nine realms and beyond.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: His Asgardian physiology allows Thor to heal at a significantly faster rate than humans and even much faster than most Asgardians.
- Superhuman Reflexes: With his reflexes, Thor can dodge any attack or blow.
- Elemental Manipulation: Thor can manipulate weather and electricity owing to his power to manipulate elements.
- Bifrost Summoning: With his new weapon Stormbreaker, Thor can summon the energy of Bifrost that helps him to teleport anywhere in the nine realms and beyond.
Watch: Top 10 Powers You Didn’t Know Thor Had
How Captain Marvel Gets Her Powers?
The origin story Captain Marvel aka Carol Danvers, trace her back as a human, US Air force Pilot. Carol during a mission gets exposed to the energy of the Tesseract via the destruction of the Light-Speed Engine. It becomes the source of her powers. Further, as per the MCU Tesseract was a containment vessel for the Space stone. Hence, it can be concluded that in the MCU Carol Danvers gets her cosmic powers thanks to the Space Stone. She was further experimented by the Kree making her a Kree-Human hybrid with cosmic powers such as drawing her energy from a white hole – which is dubbed as her Binary mode.
What are Captain Marvel’s Powers?
- Energy Absorption And Manipulation: Danvers can absorb and manipulate any kind of energy and also project it from her hands.
- Cosmic Awareness: Her Kree conversion gives her cosmic awareness and precognition that allowed her to sense danger before a crisis even started.
- Going Binary: Carol’s most powerful form is called Binary. She can radiate heat, light and radiations drawing from the energy of White Holes.
- Flight Faster Than Speed of Sound: Apt for a skilled pilot she can fly at a speed faster than sound.
- Superhuman Strength and Durability: She has strength and durability that can only be outmatched on occasions by likes of Hulk & Thor.
Who Is Stronger Captain Marvel or Thor?
So, in terms of brute strength, Thor is the clear answer. However, Thor’s Stormbreaker or Mjolnir is inseparable from him as Carol’s Cosmic powers. Nonetheless, given that’s a tie. Still, the verdict is clear as Thor’s years of battle experience gives him an edge over Carol. Furthermore, director Joe Russo clarified in a special feature included in the Avengers: Endgame’s digital release. “She is as powerful, if not more powerful than Thor.”
Captain Marvel VS Thor FAQ’s
While we haven’t seen such a thing in the MCU. In comics, during a battle between Captain Marvel and Thor, Carol eventually kills Thor.
Thor is literally a God and Carol a human-Kree hybrid. His powers are too mighty for Captain Marvel to take on.