F1 schedule is in doubt with over 103,000 coronavirus cases being reported and over 3500 deaths. With authorities becoming stricter and stricter with border controls, will all teams be allowed to enter their borders? If not, will some races be canceled? Many such questions arise as a result of the coronavirus scare.
The coronavirus scare brings several questions with the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix only being less than a week away. Several motor sporting events have already been canceled or postponed due to Coronavirus, including Formula 1’s Chinese Grand Prix. One of the questions that come up then is that will the Australian Grand Prix and the Bahrain Grand Prix will be affected. Reports from Australian authorities suggest that Formula 1 is going to go as planned whereas the situation in Bahrain is more complicated. Although the Grand Prix itself seems to go as planned, authorities in Bahrain have restricted any fans from attending the event.
Highlights: Formula 1 to be cancelled?:
- Ross Brawn Leaves Formula 1 Baffled with Puzzling Statements.
- Fans Not Permitted to Attend Bahrain Grand Prix.
Ross Brawn’s Comments Leave Fans Confused
Formula 1’s managing and technical director, Ross Brawn, leaves F1 fans puzzled with confusing statements regarding F1’s situation considering the coronavirus scare. Speaking at a launch event for new F1 partner 188Bet, Brawn said, “I think the key thing is to try and maintain the sport in the safest possible way. We can’t take unnecessary risks, but we can’t just shut down completely. I mean if the whole economy shut down completely, that would have a much more serious impact than the coronavirus. But the coronavirus is a very serious threat, so we have to take the necessary reactions.” Such statements only add to the already existing uncertainty surrounding the world of Formula 1, and the excitement for Formula 1’s new season might need to be put on a hold.
Bahrain Grand Prix A Participants Event Only
After the Chinese Grand Prix was postponed due to coronavirus, Bahrain is next that his hit by coronavirus scares. Bahrain authorities said that the Formula 1 race that is to be held on 22nd March will be a participant event only. Organizers on Sunday said, “In consultation with our international partners and the Kingdom’s national health taskforce, Bahrain has made the decision to hold this year’s (race) as a participants-only event.”
Italian Teams to Face Strict Checks
Although the Bahrain Grand Prix is set to take place, some fans wonder that the Grand Prix could be completely canceled. Brawn had mentioned that F1 cannot host races in countries where teams are prevented from entering. Brawn said, “If a team is prevented from entering a country, we can’t have a race.” This statement is a worry as Bahrain had previously canceled all flights from UAE and Iran for security checks. The worry currently is that teams coming from Italy will face strict checking since coronavirus has spread rapidly in this region. Teams from Italy include Scuderia Ferrari, AlphaTauri and Alpha Romeo.
One can only imagine the disruption that will result in the F1 schedule with increasing coronavirus cases spreading across the world. For Formula 1 fans, they would hope that Formula 1 continues as per schedule but motor sporting authorities would obviously need to keep a close watch to ensure the safety of the drivers and the teams. As of now, two races have faced the brunt of coronavirus scare. The Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed while the Bahrain Grand Prix is now a participant-only event. However, the schedule could change dramatically if new cases come up.
The first race scheduled on the calendar is the Australian Grand Prix on March 15th.