Lionel Messi who has 671 goals, 285 assists, 5 Ballon d’Or, 6 golden boot, 4 champions league, 34 trophies, Scorer of 91 goals in a year, the little magician turns 32 today.
From an 11-year-old kid with a growth hormone deficiency to the World’s highest paid athlete.
let’s take a look at some facts about the legend Messi:
- His full name is Luis Lionel Andres Messi.
- He was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency which was stopping his normal growth rate at a tender age of 11.
- Messi’s first contract with FC Barcelona was detailed out on a paper napkin! FC Barcelona sporting director Carles Rexach was so impressed with Messi’s skills that he wanted to make a contract immediately and there was no paper available at that time.
- Leo Messi Foundation, which helps give children the best opportunities for education and health care. His foundation helps to pay for medical treatment, transportation, and recuperation for children diagnosed with major medical problems.
- Lionel Messi also had the boy’s name and handprints tattooed on his left calf.
- Messi is the first football player in history to win four FIFA/ Ballon d’Or consecutively as well as the first to win three European Golden Shoe awards
- Shortest forward in the world.
- World record for most goals in one year: Messi scored 91 goals in 2012 – a feat no one else has accomplished.
- Leo has 45 goals for Argentina and is closing in on Batistuta’s national record of 56. Messi passed Diego Maradona’s tally of 34 in 2013
- The first soccer club that Messi joined was Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina
Lionel Messi needs no description but that doesn’t mean we haven’t tried to put his talent into words, let’s look at some:
- “For the world of football, Messi is a treasure because he is a role model for children around the world… Messi will be the player to win the most Ballons d’Or in history. He will win five, six, seven. He is incomparable. He’s in a different league.” – Johan Cruyff
- “I have played against Platini, Maradona, Cruyff and played with George Best — a lot of big names, but none of them has been able to do what Messi does. Two years ago I said that the best player I played against was Maradona and the best player I have played with was Bestie. But I can now say I have never seen a player as good as Messi. He’s in a league of his own.” – Former Tottenham star Gerry Armstrong
- “I have seen the player who will inherit my place in Argentine football and his name is Messi. Messi is a genius.” – Diego Maradona
- “Don’t write about him, don’t try to describe him. Just watch him.” – Pep Guardiola
- “Messi is God, as a person and even more as a player. I knew him when he was a boy and I’ve watched him grow. He deserves it all.” – Samuel Eto’o
- “Who is the Best Player in the World? Leo Messi. Who is the Best Player Ever? Leo Messi.” – Arsene Wenger
- “If you can’t link up well with Messi, then football’s not for you.” –Xavi
- “I wear the number 10 Jersey for the US National Team in honor of the Greatest athlete I have ever seen: Messi.”- Kobe Bryant
- “Lionel Messi is quite clearly the best player ever. It’s a pleasure to pit myself against him and when I finish my career it’s something I can look back on and know I’ve tested myself against the very best.”- John Terry
- “I think he reached and surpassed the level of Maradona. He does incredible things, at a speed that is insane.”- Paolo Maldini
- ” Messi is the best. There must be life out there somewhere, on some other planet. Because he is too good and we are just too bad for him.” –Jürgen Klopp
- “This Barca will be remembered as Messi’s Barca. He’s well above anything else I’ve ever seen. He’s an alien.” – Carles Puyol
- “He is always going forwards. He never passes the ball backward or sideways. He has only one idea, to run towards the goal. So as a football fan, just enjoy the show.” – Zinedine Zidane
- “I like Messi a lot, he’s a great player. Technically, we’re practically at the same level.” – Pele
- “Messi does not need his right foot. He only uses the left and he’s still the best in the world. Imagine if he also used his right foot, Then we would have serious problems.” – Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- “Is Messi a real player or a PlayStation character?” – Radamel Falcao
- “They tell me that all men are equal in God’s eyes, this player makes you seriously think about those words.” – soccer commentator Ray Hudson
Lionel Messi, a miracle of God has already achieved more than most can imagine. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGICIAN
At 32, with still more years to play, we wonder how many more records he will break with those magical feet.