– Australia 334 for 7; Sri Lanka 247
– Australia go to the top of the World Cup table
Australia notched their fourth win of the ICC World Cup 2019 to go top of the 10-team table.
The Aussies beat Sri Lanka at The Oval in London.
Batting first, Aussies rode on a brilliant ton by skipper Aaron Finch to post 334/7. Sri Lanka started well but lost their way in the chase.
How did the match pan out
Aussies got off to a cautious start and laid the platform. Finch and Smith then attacked the Lankans with a solid partnership of 173 runs for the third wicket.
That helped Aussies race away, before Lanka hit back at the death with wickets.
In reply, Lanka kept up with the rate, but lost their way in the middle overs.
Starc was amazing for Australia.
Magnificent Finch musters a heap of records
- Aaron Finch now has the most ODI runs in 2019 (977).
- The opening batsman smashed his third century this year.
- Finch now has 623 runs for the Aussies in World Cup cricket. This was his highest World Cup score and second century in the coveted event.
- Finch also registered his 14th career ODI ton.
- It was also his second 150-plus score in 2019.
Starc impresses with the ball once again
Mitchell Starc (4/55) now has the most wickets in the ongoing Cricket World Cup (13). He also equaled Brett Lee in terms of World Cup wickets by an Aussie (35).
Starc now has 158 career ODI wickets. He also picked up his fourth four-wicket haul in the World Cup.
Pat Cummins extended his tally for the most ODI wickets in 2019 (28).
To Sum up in less words:
Aaron Finch led the way with the bat and Mitchell Starc again impressed with the ball as Aussies moved to the top of the standings.