Business Wire India
- Reduces Limb Loss by 30% in Diabetes
- May benefit patients struggling from cancer, brain stroke, vision or hearing loss
In 2020, according to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), 463 million people have diabetes in the world, 88 million people in the South Asia region, of this 88 million people, 77 million belong to India. Approximately 25% develop Diabetic Foot Ulcers (DFU), of which 50% become infected, requiring hospitalization while 20% need amputation. Adding Hyperbaric oxygen therapy to Standard of care reduces the risk of major amputation by approx. 20-30% and increases wound healing rate by 9 – 10 times. Further benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen are not just limited to Diabetic Foot Ulcer treatment but stretch wider into many diseases and conditions.
HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy)
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, or many times known by its acronym HBOT involves breathing oxygen at pressure higher than atmospheric pressure. It is administered in specially designed chambers which helps create ambient pressure 2-3 times higher than that found at sea level to help dissolve oxygen into blood. According to Henry’s law, with rise in pressure the amount of gas dissolved in liquid increases. Henceforth inhaling oxygen in pressurized chamber increases the amount of oxygen dissolved in blood plasma apart from the oxygen bound to Hemoglobin. This substantial increase in plasma oxygen concentration increases oxygen delivery to tissues by 10 to 15 times as compared to the amount received through normal breathing and as a result, this increased oxygen into the system provides many benefits.
Dr. Mandeep Singh Malhotra, Surgical Oncologist (Clinical Lead & Mentor – Art of Healing Cancer- AOHC) suggests as per research that in a single hour of HBOT treatment, the body takes in approximately about 2.4 pounds of oxygen into the tissue and this increased oxygen benefits by
- Increase oxygen delivery to tissues with compromised blood flow such as diabetic foot ulcers, stroke, trauma, flaps, necrotic tissue in cancer, etc.
- Decreases swelling and inflammation by deactivation of toxins; Increases the ability of body’s immune cells to fight off infections.
- Stimulates new blood vessels and capillary growth that aid in wound healing and also removal of toxins and waste products.
- Increases the active firing of nerve cells thus help in neural recovery.
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Wound Healing
- Severe Anaemia
- Delayed Radiation Injury or Radiation Necrosis
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Compromised Grafts & Flaps
- Vision loss or sudden hearing loss
- Brain Abscess
There are certain other conditions in which HBOT is likely to benefit:
- Brain Stroke
- Brain Related Disorders like Alzheimer, Paralysis, Parkinson’s, Brain Fog, etc
- Refractory Cancers which do not respond to chemotherapy
The content is by Business Wire India. DKODING Media is not responsible for the content provided or any links related to this content. DKODING Media is not responsible for the correctness, topicality or the quality of the content.