Akhilesh Yadav voiced concerns over reports of EVM ‘malfunctioning’
Return to Ballot papers to preserve the sanctity and protect the spirit of the electoral process and democracy.” – Chandrababu Naidu
- SP Chief Akhilesh Yadav alleged “criminal negligence”, claiming that EVMs are “malfunctioning or voting for the BJP” across the country
- Voters in Kovalam and Cherthala in the Phase 3 also reported that malfunctioning EVMs are recording votes for BJP
- The District Election Office at Kovalam dismissed the allegations claiming the machines had other issues which were rectified.
- A voter was arrested in Kerala for an alleged false complaint about malfunctioning of polling machine.
- After a number of cases of EVM malfunctioning, TDP Chief Naidu met the EC and demanded reversion to ballot paper system.
But theElection Commission sounded displeasure on TDP’s decision to include Hari P Vemuru in the Chandrababu Naidu-led delegation that met EC. Hari P Vemuru has been accused of EVM theft in a 2010 case.
Andhra CM and TDP President Chandrababu Naidu claimed the EC’s disapproval of the delegation is a way to avoid the topic of alleged malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs.
Akhilesh Yadav expressed a similar sentiment, saying the EVMs across India were malfunctioning or voting for BJP. He alleged that this was criminal negligence for a polling exercise that costs Rs. 50,000 Crores.
The sentiment is similar to an utterance by BJP Leader and UP CM Adityanath who had once suggested that EVM stood for Every Vote Modi.