What’s in a name? Controversy | Vinci: Smartest or Dumbest
In a fresh row, Rahul Gandhi is again feeling the brunt of opposition rants in context to his
flimsy nomination papers with a different name and alleged UK citizenship.
It is hard for Congress Supremo and PM hopeful Rahul Gandhi to stay away from controversy.
- Independent candidate, Dhruv Lal who will take on Rahul Gandhi from Amethi, filed a complaint with the Election Commission.
- As per Gandhi’s nomination papers, he is a UK Citizen and is technically not allowed to contest elections in India, claimed Lal.
- Dhruv Lal’s lawyer said the claim was backed by a certificate of incorporation of a UK-registered company wherein Rahul Gandhi is declared as a UK citizen.
- Under the Representation of People Act, a non-Indian citizen
- Further speculation arose from his education certificate for an M. Phil degree acquired from UK. The marks certificate reads Gandhi’s name as Raul Vinci.
This made the independent candidate question:
“So, we are asking is Rahul Gandhi and Raul Vinci the same person?”
Ruling party BJP is not one to let Gandhi escape and conveniently joined the ruckus over his citizenship and educational qualification. BJP spokesperson G.V.L. Narsimha Rao while addressing a press conference at party headquarters called on the Congress President to come out clearly and tell people the real story of his citizenship.
Amethi’s Returning Officer has given Rahul Gandhi time till April 22 for answers and clarifications, before his nomination papers are drawn under scrutiny.
BJP’s popular leader Smriti Irani is up against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi which goes to polls on May 6 ( Election 2019). Apart from the traditional Gandhi family bastion, Congress President is also contesting from a second seat in Wayanad in 2019.