After waiting for almost a year, YouTube has revealed the date for making the original content free to stream.
“While every other media company is racing to put their content behind the paywall, we’re headed in the opposite direction by making our original content available for free”Robert Kyncl, Chief Business Officer at YouTube
- 24 September is the date when the YouTube originals will be available for all the users by YouTube.
- YouTube decided last year to re-evaluate their strategy for the subscription-based viewing of their originals.
- Now users can watch all the series released after 24 September without any premium account.
- However, the premium user can binge watch the season as soon as it releases while the free accounts have to wait for the episode’s airdate.
- Moreover, the premium user can also have access to special videos and behind the scenes from the original content.
- We may see a price drop for the premium account since the privileges are limited now to basically ad-free and off-line content.
- This move was the outcome of low popularity of YouTube’s original content.
- Also, the user’s don’t trust YouTube much after watching this year’s rewind.