Space X and Momentus are the two space companies trying to revolutionize how we use satellites
Space X is starting a program to put small satellites in space – for $2.25 million.
- The new initiative is termed SmallSat Ride-share Program. It will take the first load of small satellites into lower Earth Orbit as soon as late 2020 or early 2021.
- Small satellites are the small players in the world of today where the actual, big satellite decides when the launch will happen.
- Space X is offering regularly scheduled, specialized rideshare missions using the Falcon 9.
- When a big satellite dictates when the launch goes and into what orbit, the small ones suffer and nobody bats an eye. No more will this discrimination be tolerated, says our beloved, Elon Musk.
- A shift of how space flight happens and what predetermines the date and time of flight is beginning with Musks’ mission to provide rideshare.
- Putting your satellite onto a big rocket may not always burn a hole into your pocket but it certainly does determine where your satellite goes.
The Space Tugboats
- Mikhail Kokorich is the founder of Momentus and creator of the space tugboat.
- These vehicle, when they come into being, are going be capable of ferrying satellites from one corner of space to another niche.
- This technology, once out of engineering labs, could reduce space junk and keep functional satellites functional for longer.
- Momentus is planning to launch the first space tugboat aboard the Space X’s first SmallSat mission.
- The tug space ferry is capable of carrying multiple small satellites from one orbit in space to another.
- Solar power is going to be the fuel for the tugboat going by the name Vigoride.
- It is going to move through space using solar panels to generate microwaves. This heats the water to temperatures as high as the surface of our Sun.
- The water plasma tech it uses sounds revolutionary. A prototype of the Vigoride entered space in July. Two more test flights are already planned to attract a few users to their especially unique service.