If you have some old phones collecting dust in a drawer don’t sell them for a fraction of what you bought them for. If they still turn on, you can put them to good use in your home.
This is how you can give your outdated phone a new life.
- To begin, you will need to choose a security-camera app for your phone.
- Once you’re set-up, you will be able to monitor your living space and control your security camera from anywhere, straight from your new phone.
- One of the best options for setting up your phone as a security camera is Alfred which is a cross-platform app.
How to use Alfred
- Download Alfred (Android, iOS) on both your old and new phones or any tablets you want to use.
- On the new phone, swipe through the introduction and tap Start. Select Viewer and tap Next.
- Once you get to the sign-in page, click Sign in with Google (a Google account is required) and sign in with your Google account credentials.
- On the old phone, repeat the same steps, but instead of selecting Viewer, select Camera. And make sure to sign in to the same Google account.
- After you have the stream up and running, you will need to set up and position the camera.
- To mount or position the camera, a small android device tripod or suction cup car mount will help you position the camera in an inconspicuous place
- Streaming video is very power-intensive, and the phone will be on 24/7. To keep the mobile from dying in the first few hours, you will need to position it close to a power source.