In a remote village of Peru, a baffled family took their 5-year-old daughter to a doctor, miles away in Lima. The 5-year-old mother: Lina Medina’s belly had been growing for months now and they suspected she might have a tumor.
- Upon check-up, the doctor had a baffling insight into her condition – Lena was pregnant. Six weeks later, at the age of five years and seven months, Lina became the youngest known human to give birth.
- Paediatricians and doctors of the time were taken aback by this and nobody had any answers as to how this was even possible. Speculation on the subject has always been ripe and there’s no grounded data. Lina Medina has never revealed the father of her child.
A Lina Medina in every 10,000?
- While the case of Lina Medina was a surprising turn of events for anyone who has come across it, pediatric endocrinologists don’t believe this to be impossible.
- Precocious puberty is a real condition that affects 1 in every 10,000 children. Roughly ten times more girls than boys develop this condition. Sexual activity at an early age is known to accelerate this condition. Analysis by pediatric endocrinologists suggests that Lina Medina probably had her first-ever menstruation at an age as early as 3 months.
Many reports have gone as far as to claim that Lina was having regular cycles at the age of 3. Within the condition of Precocious Puberty, a child attains sexual maturity before the age of 8. The case of Lina Medina is well explained by Precocious puberty but it does not provide all the answers. Somebody ought to have had sex with her but Lina has always refused to give any answers regarding that part.
- Lina’s father was briefly arrested for allegedly having raped his own daughter but was soon released. No evidence was found against the silversmith, Tiburelo. He arduously denied having sex with his daughter and all charges against him were dropped.
- The condition and life of Lina Medina became a worldwide sensation, offering her thousands of dollars for exclusive interviews and bringing in readership through her. She has never spoken to any media houses nor has the how behind her condition ever been disclosed.
What about the baby?
- Medina received good medical care, especially for her time and where she lived. Her baby was born healthy and without any abnormalities. He grew up side by side with Medina. The child was named Gerardo and he never got to know the truth about his birth until he was a teenager. At the age of 39, in 1972, Lina gave birth to her second and only living child with her husband, Raul.
Lina’s first child, whom she gave birth to at the age of 5, died at the age of 40 in 1979. The 5-Year-old mother was last contacted in 2002, there is no surety whether she’s alive today or not.