Did you that the CEO and chairman of General Motors Marry Barra has been working at GM since she was just 18 and on her way to the top she also held the position of global head of HR.
Marry Barra, the head of the largest woman-run company in America, asked these three questions in successions and her criteria of selection are really what sets her apart from others.
These were the three questions she used to ask in successions –
- How would your peers describe you in three adjectives?
- How would your supervisor describe you in three adjectives?
- How would people who’ve worked for you describe you in three adjectives?
Why would she ask these questions, that too back to back?
According to her, she doesn’t want adjectives to change since you don’t want people to manage their peers and superiors differently.
For her, this shows integrity and is the key to empowering teams.
So, what are those “adjectives” she wants to hear?
- High integrity is foundational for her.
- A true teammate.
- A powerful influence.
- The passion and competence for the auto industry.