Theory of relativity has detected the ringing made by the gravitational waves of a Black Hole. The data confirms that Black Hole has three properties only. These are a mass, spin and electric charge.
The study was recently published in the Physics review letter claimed to have finally detected the ringing that is made by gravitational waves. Gravitational waves producing Black Holes absorb any other properties into themselves.
- Black Holes are a gateway to view the universe outside of the laws of the Universe. Einstein’s theory of relativity predicts that a black hole with a certain spin, mass and electric charge resonates through the universe at directly related frequencies.
- Any other properties of a black hole, if at all, are unobservable. The same as the theory of Relativity by Albert Einstein suggests.
- The data is founded by a team of researchers at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), consequently calculating the mass and spin of the black hole, comparing with the earlier measurements of the same.
- Unsurprisingly, the data is accurate and the researchers agree on it. Einstein’s theory of Relativity has never been doubted, only proved time and time again.
- “We detect an overall gravitational wave signal that’s made up of multiple frequencies, which fade away at different rates, like the different pitches that make up a sound,” Isi says. “Each frequency or tone corresponds to a vibrational frequency of the new black hole.
- Gravity travels at the speed of light as well. The easiest way, hence, to detect the formation of any new black hole is to measure the ringing as it forms. As a black hole that puts itself into the fabric of space and time, almost tears it apart. A black hole will be easily detectable as well because of this reason.
Beyond Relativity – Black Holes are the cradle to scientific discoveries
- John Wheeler’s suggested Black Hole hair theory has also been proved wrong with this finding. If there was any form of deviation from what Einstein’s theory, it would surmise that there is more to black holes than Relativity talks about.
- As it turns out, yet again, Einstein was right when he predicted the properties of these Cosmic behemoths that we call Black Holes.
- The gravitational waves are detected by LIGO, Laser Interferometer Gravitational Waves Observatory. The scientists at MIT, Maximiliano Isi leads the research efforts.
- This signal was detected on September 14, 2015. Upon zooming in on the signal, Maximiliano Isi and the scientists involved saw the waves for the first time ever.
- It is later inferred that these gravitational waves proving Einstein right are produced by two massive black holes spiralling and eventually colliding. The amount of energy they produced must be unprecedented.
- Gravitational waves produced were too faint to be detected but Maximiliano Isi and co-author Matthew Giesler deduce and measure the reverberation of the ringing at its peak. The result? An accurately fascinating measure of the mass and spin of the new-born black hole.
How were these detected?
- Extracting the reverberation and discerning the different frequencies of the Gravitational Waves, separating the tones, overtones and corresponding pitch and decay rate of the sound waves helped in deciphering the exact ringing.
- Einstein’s theory of Relativity suggests that the frequency at which any black hole produces gravitational waves and the rate at which these become undetectable are relative to its mass and spin.
- The scientific community is excited as should all of us be. Einstein may not be with us anymore but the amount of mathematically sound and Universally applicable laws that he created will resonate through humanity till the end of time itself.