An old copyright law groove has made millions of free books available for you to read.
You have the New York Public Library to thank for this gift of free books to humankind.
- Everybody paying for books: Here’s the good news you have been waiting to hear all your lives.
Legal digital books
- If you want the latest releases, that’s cool but for millions of older books, you can get digital versions, for free.
How did it happen?
- Before 1964, written books had a 28-year copyright term. Extending this copyright required authors or publishers to send a form entailing the same.
- Many of the Authors and copywriters ended up not going through with this process.
- In a project New York Public Library took up, the copyright info was converted into an XML format.
The Affect of this Massive undertaking
- Close to 80% of all books published between the years 1923 and 1964 are free for us to read.
Where to download these books?
- The most recommended website to access these free digital version of these books is Standard EBooks.
- There is knowledge available to us through various means; the will to consume it is what makes smart individuals.