Menaka Guruswamy & Arundhati Katju, the lawyers behind the historic Section 377 verdict, have revealed in an interview that they are in a relationship.
The advocates who fought for the LGBTQ rights in the supreme court of India has come out of the closet, stating the legal battle was not just professional but personal also.
- Menaka Guruswamy & Arundhati Katju faced a defeat in 2013 when the Supreme Court reversed the Delhi High Court decision to revoke IPC Section 377.
- For those who don’t know, Section 377 of Indian Penal Code criminalized homosexuality and unnatural intercourse.
- The duo then again fought for their rights and against the discrimination faced by LGBTQ community and made the apex court to reverse its earlier decision.
- During a recent interview with CNN, they revealed that they are a couple in real life, and the fight against 158 years old colonial rule was personal too.
- They also told how they felt after getting declared criminal in the Supreme Court after the 2013 verdict, they said, “it was a loss as a lawyer, as a citizen and it was a personal loss”.
- The role model for LGBTQ community was also enlisted in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2019.
- They also posted their picture as part of the #SareeTwitter soon after the interview was posted on Twitter