The number of women going on holiday with their friends, rather than with their significant others, has seen remarkable growth.
In the past six years, there has been a 230 per cent rise in the number of women-only travel companies – presumably prompted by consumer demand. The girls-only-getaway arena is a lucrative market, accounting for four per cent of all US travel spending.
Let’s make the case for the adult girls holiday. Here’s why you should book one:
- You’ll strengthen your friendship: Friendship is based on experiences, memories and the kind of chat that spans the silly, the deep and the frustrating. You won’t cover all that with a few hours in the pub, but you will with a holiday away.
- It’s wildly freeing: There is nothing that feels more liberating than getting on a plane with a best friend or two and removing yourself from domesticity.
- You’re more likely to meet new people: When you’re with your friends, you’re more open to chatting with new people. There is a far greater chance you’ll do things you didn’t expect – whether driving mopeds through an island without a license to dancing until the sun comes up.
- You will party more: Days just last longer with your friends where you might go for dinner and a drink with your boyfriend before going back to the hotel, nights with girlfriends tend to go on later – whether you head to the clubs or just spend the evening talking about the universe over a lengthy dinner.
- You’ll remember why you became such good friends in the first place: Going on holiday with friends can help you remember why you first became friends. You’re seeing your best women at their most relaxed, away from the pressures of normal life.
- You’ll talk through each other’s life problems: Women have an incomparable ability to talk about everything. With unlimited time on your hands, you can both work out how your friend is going to get out of that job she hates, or that niggling issue you have about your boyfriend.