Going around is a dull and slow affair. Compared to the amazing rail networks around the world, you’re gonna be bored.
These are the best roads to be bored on.
Dalton Highway (State Route 11) Alaska
- Less than 5% of the roads in Alaska are paved.
- The rough gravel highway is literally in the middle of nowhere. Dalton highway remains to be the domain of ice road truckers.
- You can even witness the world-renown Northern Lights while driving through this one.
U.S. Route 50 Nevada
- This route actually bisects the US along its 3000-mile road. It connects the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
- Road trippers who seek the solitude Nietzsche and Nikola Tesla so often referred to, this is your place.
- The highway maintains a raw and untamed feel to it.
State Route 139 California
- California already boasts many iconic landmarks and must-visit destinations like this one. For out-of-state people, it may seem unlikely to get to the ‘road less taken’.
- But if you push towards San-Francisco, Sacramento, and Reno, you will find the wildest roads in the state.
- You will find great hike jump-off points in the state’s vast rugged landscape.
Highway 104 New Mexico
- The raw American Southwest scene is the strongest on this lonely way.
- New Mexico, from Tucumcari in the east spirals forever into a dry rugged expanse of nothing.
- You won’t even find any gas stations along this highway.