This Mumma dolphin with an adopted whale child is the perfect example of how parents love their kids equally.
The dolphin already had a biological offspring before adopting the whale calf, making this second-ever cross-genus adoption even more surprising.
- Scientists are amused after witnessing a bottlenose dolphin carrying a whale calf as though it was hers.
- This mother is raising two babies, first is her own biological newborn and the other is what appears to be a melon-headed whale calf.
- The facts that bottleneck dolphins give birth to one calf at a time and care for that new-born for up to six years makes this adoption more strenuous.
- Perhaps the biological baby didn’t like his sibling’s company and disappeared between the end of 2015 and the beginning of 2016.
- Dolphins adopting or stealing kids is nothing new, but the fact that it already had a baby made this adoption quite surprising.
- Scientists believe that the persistence shown by the calf towards this odd mother-child interaction makes it very likely to live a dolphin life.