This proposed submarine will make ice inside the ocean, but scientists still think this is not enough to clean the doings of humans.
Environmentalists are going to the extent of developing an ice-making submarine, but we are failing our beautiful planet again and again.
- This proposed submarine would ply polar waters and pop out icebergs to help replenish the lost polar ice.
- According to the designers, a fleet of these machines could be capable enough to create a 25-meter-wide “ice-babies” to make a larger ice sheet.
- How this submarine produces and drifts away hexagonal icebergs is explained in the video. The developer term this as an aggressive solution to the sea level rise due to the ice melting.
- Even though these submarines will complement the efforts to curb carbon emission, still the scientists are skeptic about the feasibility of this project.
- The power source for these submarines is the major cause of concern. Obviously, it has to be a clean source, otherwise, it will release even more planet-warming gases.
“It’s like trying to save the sandcastle you built at the beach using a dixie cup as the tide comes in”Michael Mann, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Penn State
- And also these icebergs will not lower the sea levels directly if they remained in the water and the whole project would be simply as a band-aid.
- What we can learn from the debate over the use of the ice-making submarines is that no matter how advanced and innovative a machine can be, only we human can save the planet now by reducing the carbon emission and opting for sustainable development.