Dota 2 tournament The International 2019 surpasses $30 million prize pool, topping Fortnite
Valve’s ninth iteration of the DOTA 2 tournament has a prize pool of $30 Million. This makes it the most lucrative E-sports tournament for at least another year.
- The prize pool is crowd-funded, a custom dating back to 2013.
- Valve released a battle pass in May, available for different tiers. Through this, players can receive special in-game features and cosmetics.
- A quarter of the earnings made from every battle pass is used to fill the prize pool for the tournament.
- The prize pool is specifically important for The International because of the fact that it remains the biggest e-sport event on the planet.
- Last year, Epic games, the Fortnite developers raised $100 Million to make Fortnite a viable competitor.
- This includes a $30 Million prize pool for the upcoming Fortnite World Cup.
- The Fortnite World Cup is set to happen in New York between July 26-28.
- The International will start off on August 20 in Shanghai.