What’s happening with Tiger Woods — How is he recovering after the serious car accident. Here’s all the latest updates and everything fans need to know about Tiger Woods.
Adding to the series of accidents and injuries, Tiger Woods, the megastar of world golf, once more faced severe injuries after a car accident in Los Angeles. Wood’s car spinned off the road to roll down the steep hillside and was soon hospitalized in Los Angeles. Tiger Woods car accident was so severe that rescue team had to pry him with an iron stick out of the damaged car. However, the reports from the hospital say that the injuries are not life-threatening. Golfer was able to communicate to the rescue team at the accident site and was conscious. It is not exactly known as to what exactly caused the accident but the Police stated that Woods was driving at “higher than normal speeds”. As messages of solidarity and wishes poured in for Tiger Woods on Social Media, he tweeted a thanks for the support to all his fans, peers and well-wishers.
Here are some major questions about Tiger Woods’ latest car accident
No one else was involved in the accident. It was a single-car accident and Woods was alone in his car.
Tiger Woods’ SUV crashed on Tuesday, 23rd February a little after 7 am (PST) in the morning.
Tiger Woods was in the Los Angeles area. As per authorities, the crash happened in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes, bordering the Rolling Hills Estates in California.
Tiger Woods was driving a Genesis GV80 an SUV made by the luxury division of Korean automaker Hyundai.
Woods has suffered injuries to his leg – comminuted open fractures that affect both his upper and lower tibia and fibula. Comminuted open fracture means that Tiger Woods’ leg bones shattered into multiple fragments. Open fractures are those where the bone ends up protruding through the skin.
Watch: Video of Tiger Woods’ Car Accident
For further details on Tiger Wood’s health condition, long-term effects of the car accident and a rewind of his extraordinary life, read below:
Everything Tiger Woods
Whenever the world talks of Golf, it is impossible to miss out virtuoso of the big man’s game, Tiger Woods. In the chandelier of 18 holes, is the canopy, keeping the glory intact and lightening bright. The winner of the 2019 Masters Tournament, Tiger Woods is one of the best professional American golfer to be ever seen, so much that the man has even been ranked second on Golf News list of “10 Greatest Golf Players the World has ever seen”.
With endless feathers in his hat, the details of Tiger Wood’s life are worth talking about. These details are as inspiring, as they have been controversial in the past. Here is the compilation of all life ingredients that make the secret sauce of Woods and his wild success.
Who is Tiger Woods?
Born on December 30, 1975 Tiger Woods is a renowned American golf player who took the life-changing decision of becoming a golfer at the age of 20. He was born to a retired War veteran Earl Woods and mother Kultida Woods whom his father met while on a tour duty in Thailand.
Within a year of entering the sport, Woods was already the winner of three PGA Tour events, along with his first major, Masters 1997. If you think this is exceptional enough, the man won the Master 1997 by record 12 strokes. This distinguished Woods right from the beginning, making him the apple of the eye of fans across the world.
Within a year of joining Golf, Tiger Woods was already holding the first spot in the global ranking. The glory of the Golf maestro wasn’t short-lived. Woods retained his position as the best golf player of the world for ten years, first from 1999 to 2004 and then from 2005 to 2010.
|Full Name||Eldrick Tont Woods|
|Family||Elin Nordegren (ex-wife)|
Charlie Axel Woods (son)
Sam Alexis Woods (daughter)
|Residence||Jupiter Island, Florida|
|Height||6’1″ (185 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|Net Worth||$800 million|
|Professional Golf Wins||110|
Fascinating facts from Tiger Woods’ Exceptional Golf Career
- Woods have won 15 notable professional golf championships and 82 PGA Tour events.
- Signed high-end advertisement deals with brands like Nike and Titleist, Woods became the poster boy within first year of joining the sport. During those times, the deal was one of the most lucrative in the golf world ever.
- The player has been ranked as world’s best golfer for 11 years during different time spans- 1999 to 2004, 2005-10 and 2013-14.
- After a series of injuries, Tiger Woods finally won his first tournament in five years in 2018 at Tour Championship.
- This victory was followed by first major after 11 years in 2019 Masters.
- The American professional golfer is the holder of the best player title for the most number of consecutive weeks
- Woods has received 11 PGA Player of the Year awards and Byron Nelson Award
- Adding to his glory, Woods is the youngest player ever to receive Grand Slam and the second player to receive it thrice.
- Tiger Woods was one of the players in the 1999 Ryder’s Cup winning team.
- Woods is the fourth golf player to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom. He won it in 2019.
Watch: Top 10 Tiger Woods shots on the PGA Tour
The Injuries and Professional Setbacks in Tiger Woods’ Life
It sounds like Woods’ life has been full of sunshine and roses but it would be unfair to jump to conclusions. Especially, for the man whose success is paved through a gritty road of shocks that put him in the backseat of his profession.
- Woods has been under a laser eye surgery twice due to myopia, first in 1999 and then again in 2007.
- The death of his father in 2006 affected Woods badly and as a result, he took a break from the tour for some time. With a return at the U.S. Open at Winged Foot, Woods was still bleak in the game and missed the cut at the U.S. Open.
- In 2008, he met with an injury and had to take again had to take a break for two months due to knee surgery.
- He made a comeback in U.S. Open in San Diego and left everyone awestruck with a historical win while healing from a surgery. However, the injury got worse soon and therefore, took the entire remaining season off. During this time, Tiger Woods underwent a surgery again.
- For the first time ever, Woods failed to win a major in 2009 after returning from injury.
- Another break followed in the same year when Golf’s megastar’s infidelity news caught light in the media.
- After returning in 2010, the downward graph continued and followed by a withdrawal from the fourth round of Quail Hollow Championship and the Players Championship due to another injury.
- This was followed by two terrible seasons ad resignation of his coach, Hank Haney.
- By 2011, Woods’ ranking dropped down to No. 7. Similar struggle in the sport was witnessed in 2012.
Watch: Tiger Woods drops to his knees in pain during a championship
Controversies that marred Tiger Woods’ celebrated life
The scandals that took Tiger Woods down were big enough to not discuss. The biggest of all was when Tiger Woods was exposed of his infidelity and sexual relations with a hotel hostess, Rachel Uchitel. This spark led to a whole wildfire that not only affected Woods’ personal life but also costed him a huge deal in monetary and professional terms. After Rachel Uchitel revealed all the sexual messages shared between the golf star and the hostess, plenty of other women came forward and spoke up about their relations with Woods. This was the time when media would encircle Tiger’s house entire day and helicopters made rounds above his roof.
Watch: The Shady Side of Tiger Woods
Finally, the sportsman owned up to his infidelity in a statement, “I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves,” it read. Following this, Woods took the opportunity at PGA Tour headquarters in Florida to once more speak about the incident and express how guilty he was for what he did, “I was unfaithful, I had affairs and I cheated. What I did was unacceptable,” he said. “I hurt my wife, my kids, my mother, my wife’s family, my friends, my foundation and kids all around the world who admired me.” The entire time frame during this incident included therapy and a long sabbatical from golf.
Tiger Woods’ Marriage and Dating Life
During this time, Woods was married to Elin Nordegren and had a daughter and son named Sam Alexis Woods and Charlie Axel Woods. The couple was married for 6 years before the two divorced following the sex scandal. Three years after the divorce, Tiger started dating Olympic Gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn but soon split up in 2015. This was followed by a rumored relationship with stylist Kristin Smith from 2016-17. However, the golf star announced about his love affair with Erica Herman which is still continued. The couple isn’t married yet.
Will Tiger Woods be able to play Golf again?
The 45 years old golfer is out of critical condition however, the assessment whether the incident can end his career or not, are yet to be made. According to latest reports, Woods was operated upon for the multiple leg fractures and the doctors have inserted an iron rod between his bones with a combination of screws and pins. The goal of the rod is that the bone heals around it. From an orthopedic standpoint, Woods’ condition was a medical emergency. Doctors also opine that the golfer was fortunate to be alive.
The doctors also had to perform a surgery known as a fasciotomy to reduce muscle in order to reduce blood vessel or nerve damage. Woods will also be monitored for potential infection, a threat with open wounds. Apart from the leg, the accident will also potentially negate the effect of a fifth spinal surgery that Woods’ underwent in December 2020.
The intensity of Tiger Woods’ injuries mean that the ace golfer will take a while to return. The bones will take “months and months to heal” as per the doctors close to the developments. Woods’ stares at a long, more than an year long, rehab which will be painful and will require a lot to get back to physicalities needed for the professional game. With Woods’ legendary work ethic, he is expected to be on his feet again in some months. However, if he will ever be able to again play as part of the PGA remains unclear.
We pray for Tiger’s speedy recovery and can’t wait for him to walk again and grace the green again the near future. Amen.
Unlike other accidents where Tiger Woods was fined for reckless driving, the player isn’t to be charged for this car accident as no evidence of careless driving were reported. During the rescue, it was found that the golf player was wearing his seatbelt too.
Celebrities Pray for Tiger Woods
A long list of celebrities and screen personalities wished Woods a speedy recovery.
However, a remark from CNN anchor Andy Scholes, who said that he was “not entirely surprised” at the Tiger Woods’ accident, caused widespread outrage. Scholes had to come out and apologized for the remark.