Has Netflix’s ‘The Umbrella Academy’ really beaten ‘X-Men’ in the show battle or is it still trudging up to the top?
The plot of both the shows ‘The Umbrella Academy’ and ‘X-Men’ might sound similar where superhuman children who have to protect the world from evil are raised by old men. However, with the advancing episodes, the two series split paths.
- ‘The Umbrella Academy’ vs. ’X-Men’: The ultimate show battle.
- The Umbrella team and ‘X-Men’: Sharing similarities.
- X-Men’ and ‘The Umbrella Academy’: Celebrating differences.
- Which Show is Better?
‘The Umbrella Academy’ vs. ’X-Men’: The ultimate show battle.
Is the Netflix show ‘The Umbrella Academy’ a bleak depiction of ‘X-Men’ story? Is it a dysfunctional ‘X-Men’ series? Do these shows really have that much in common? Or are these shows different, despite a few similarities? Find out the answers to all your questions here.
The Umbrella-Men: Sharing similarities.
Here are five major similarities between the two shows, ‘The Umbrella Academy’ and ‘X-Men’:
- One of the most defining shared characteristics is the FAMILY. In both the series, the characters were not born a family but they see each other as one. In ‘The Umbrella Academy’ despite Hargreeves’ efforts to toughen them, the kids saw themselves as siblings. On the other hand, a similar dynamic builds around ‘X-Men.
- Another common aspect is the end-of-the-world stakes. If they fail, the world will come to an end, the APOCALYPSE.
- The THEME! Both of which include saving the world and saving their love lives.
- Another noticeable similarity between the two shows is how members of the teams become each other’s enemies, at least for a time.
- How could you not think of a RELATIONSHIP drama? The members of both shows, ‘The Umbrella Academy’ and ‘X-Men’ struggle with their love lives. Scott and Madelyne, Scott and Jean, Scott and Emma Frost, Colossus and Kitty.
Even with all these similarities, the two shows are quite different. Here’s how.
The X-Academy: Celebrating differences.
Though the basic story plot looks similar, the shows go separate ways when it comes down to how the characters deal with their problems, and more. We have managed to ensemble a few differences here.
- While Sir Reginald’s approach to parenting was to be as deliberately emotionally distant as possible, Professor X can be imagined as Father (figure) of the year compared to Reginald.
- ‘X-Men’ has more science. Although ‘The Umbrella Academy’ has science-fiction elements, it never addresses the science behind the children being born in a day. Whereas ‘X-Men’ explores the science behind mutations that give the members their superpowers.
- The ‘X-Men’ characters are typical superheroes, always doing their best when the odds are against them. While the characters of ‘The Umbrella Academy’, give up at some points in the story.
- Unlike ‘The Umbrella Academy’ where the kids were taken in by Sir Reginald who exploited them and used them to his advantage, Professor X build a place for kids who were not wanted anywhere else.
- In ‘X-Men’ almost everybody is a mutant but in the other show, it’s just certain kids and not the whole population.
Which Show is Better?
Since there can only be one winner, when it comes to which superhero group remains prevalent and the best, ‘X-Men’ does not falter. But that isn’t to say ‘The Umbrella Academy’ can’t catch up.
Both the shows have managed to touch the audience’s hearts in many different ways. If you are a huge fan of superhero shows, maybe you don’t need to choose and just grabs some popcorn and watch both.
Anyway, which show would you root for: ‘The Umbrella Academy’ or ‘X-Men’? Let us know in the comments.