Indian teenager dies after tapeworm laid eggs in his brain
A teenager from Faridabad died from the effects of tapeworm laying eggs in his brain. After the teen was transported to a hospital for seizures, MRI scan of his brain revealed parasites running amok, according to a paper published Thursday in The New England Journal.
The teen’s parents told doctors that he’d also been complaining of a pain in his groin over the last week. A physical exam revealed that he had tenderness in the right testis and was feeling confused.
The MRI showed damage caused by cysts in his cerebral cortex (the outer mantle of brain tissue) as well as the brain stem, including the cerebellum, which sits at the back of the head above the spinal cord.
Neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disease of the brain caused when a person swallows tapeworm eggs that have passed in the feces of someone who has an intestinal tapeworm. The larvae crawl out of the eggs and into muscle and brain tissues, where they form cysts.
World Health Organisation defines neurocysticercosis as a “tapeworm infection of the central
The doctors also discovered cysts in the teen’s right eye and right testis. Treatment with antiparasitic medications was not recommended in the teenager case as it could worsen inflammation and cerebral oedema. Unfortunately, the teen died at the hospital two weeks later, despite being treated with dexamethasone and antiepileptic medications.
People become infected with neurocysticercosis from consuming food that is not properly cooked,drinking water contaminated by tapeworm eggs, or poor hygiene practices.
You might like this