China’s propaganda machinery is currently engaged in full-scale effort to re-write the story of Coronavirus pandemic. West shouldn’t ignore this.
Highlights: Will China face a Global Backlash for Corona Crisis?
- How China’s initial Snub to report the problem inflicted innumerable deaths
- Global Economic Impact
- No drug however a nano-material
As the number of deaths spiral out of control around the world due to coronavirus, the US and other countries have reported an acute deficit of medical essentials to fight the pandemic. Yet currently, China is positioning itself at the pinnacle of the worldwide response to Covid-19 to avoid the impending global backlash.You will find more infographics at Statista
It is adopting a singular leadership position that will alter international power relations, despite the most important shock to its industrial output and economy in recent history and its coverup in Hubei province at the start of the crisis.
How China’s initial Snub to report the issue inflicting innumerable deaths
Let’s go through the timeline first, how China responded to a then possible pandemic disease with ignorance.
Why it matters:
A March study indicated that if CCP(Communist Party of China) had acted 3 weeks ahead of they did, the number of coronavirus cases might have been reduced by 95% and also it’s geographic unfold could have been restricted.
Dec. 10, 2019
- Wei Guixian, one of the first known COVID19 patients, starts feeling ill.
Dec. 16, 2019
- The patient admitted to Wuhan Central Hospital with sepsis in both lungs and resistant to antiflu drugs. Staff later found the patient worked at a wet market related to the outbreak.
Dec. 27, 2019
- Wuhan health officials notified about a new coronavirus that is causing the illness.
Dec. 30, 2019
- Ai Fen, Director at Wuhan Central Hospital, shares the information on WeChat about the new virus. She was later officially rebuked for doing so and told not to spread any information about it.
- Doctor Li Wenliang also shares information on WeChat about the new SARS-like virus. He was called in for questioning shortly afterward.
- Wuhan health commission notified health centers of a “pneumonia of unclear cause” and orders them to report any related information.
Dec. 31, 2019
- Wuhan health officials confirmed 27 cases of sickness and also closed a market they found was related to the virus’ spread.
- China informed the WHO about the cases of an unknown illness.
Jan. 1, 2020
- Public Security Bureau called for questioning eight doctors who had posted information about the illness on WeChat.
- An official at the Hubei Provincial Health Commission ordered a lab, that had already determined that the new virus was similar to SARS, to prevent further testing and to destroy existing samples.
Jan. 2, 2020
- Chinese researchers mapped the new coronavirus’ complete genetic information. The information was not made public until Jan. 9.
Jan. 7, 2020
- Xi Jinping gets involved in the response.
WHO announced that Chinese authorities have seen “no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus” and also this was the unfortunate point that messed up everything for the world. Disease spread caught people unaware. So, they started leaving the epicenter city of Wuhan towards the rest of the globe. Thailand reported the first case outside China.You will find more infographics at Statista
The Global Community Transmission
On Jan 15, 2020, the patient who became the first confirmed U.S. case leaves Wuhan and arrives in the U.S., carrying the coronavirus. Consequently, global cases are now over 700 thousand. USA tops the list with around 130 thousand cases, followed by Italy then China. However, China’s propaganda machinery is currently engaged in a full-scale effort to re-write the story of Coronavirus pandemic. West could easily ignore this but shouldn’t as it is risking many lives.
So, the spread of novel coronavirus has left businesses around the globe counting costs. The above chart helps realize the impact of coronavirus crisis on stock markets since the start of the outbreak.
Investors are afraid of coronavirus destroying the economic growth and they are also losing confidence from any apt government actions. In response, the central banks of many countries have also slashed their interest rates, which should, make borrowing cheaper and encourage spending to boost the economy in theory. Still, worried analysts warn that the decision is volatile. Until the pandemic is contained.
No drug however a Nano-Material
Amidst the global chaos, there has been no upcoming major criticism reported from any of the international institutions. Moreover, China is currently claiming to have found a nanomaterial that can absorb and deactivate COVID-19 with 96.5%-99.9% efficiency.
So, is this a way for China to curb any global backlash from around the world by becoming the first and only solution to its homegrown mayhem?
With contributions by: Pratik Mazumder